Tuesday, March 31, 2009

If

If I could, I would climb right out of my own skin and walk away.
Would I come back later? Maybe.
If I could, I would take this whole day and crumple it up in a ball and aim for the circular file.
Would I miss anything? Probably not.
If I could, I'd hop a train, plane, or hot air balloon and ride off to Tulsa to visit a brand new baby and smell his soft new skin and kiss his downy fluff.
Would I be nostalgic and longing?
Sure. And happy if.
If I could, I'd rewrite all the rules.
All selfishly. All fair.
If I could, I'd go back and start over and do it all better.
Would I mess up sometimes anyway? Without a doubt.
If I could, I'd sleep right now. But I can't. So I'm writing this instead.
If I can if, I will.
I if.
If you?

1 comment:

pixiemama said...

I if all the time. Sometimes it's fun. Sometimes - it drives me even more insane. I wish, too. I wish I could answer your ifs.

xo