Saturday, February 21, 2009

YouYou

In a recent post, I put out there a meme, and I don't think many people took me up on it (but my coconuts friend did - THANKS!), but I had promised to explain something I had learned about the meme.
See, I got the meme from a UC Santa Barbara art professor who gave a talk at my school. He has his students make four lists of 1o.
What are the 10 things:
You are seen as
You are supposed to be
You are afraid of becoming
You Are.

His observation, which I have been pondering, is this: The first and last two lists make you unique. If you handed your seen as and are lists to the person on your left who knows you well, they should recognize you. The middle lists, what we think we are supposed to be, and what we are afraid of becoming, are universal. Pass them to your right and the person who reads them will shout, "Me, too!" What does that say about us? That we are all unique in spite of our universal fears of inadequacy? I'm not entirely sure, but I find it interesting to contemplate.

No comments: