Sunday, August 22, 2010

Falling

I don't want to talk about the end of summer and the back to school season, but there really isn't much choice. Tomorrow the faculty return to work at the school where I teach, and while I never did have a vacation, I did work days an hour shorter than usual, and I will miss that as I resume staying until 4:30. A week from tomorrow, Peaches starts her last year of preschool. And two weeks after that, the Rooster starts first grade. So, denial or not, here comes transition season.

Verklempt.

We have had some firsts in these parts. Right now, my little girl is away from home for the first time. She and her grandparents are taking a trip a few hours away to visit family for most of the week. We left her today, and as I type, I am waiting to hear that they arrived at my brother-in-law's house safe and sound after their four hour journey. That waiting thing can be blamed on the poor quality of this post... I'm half here, writing for distraction.

I am also trying to distract myself from my stress of being a student again. Six weeks ago I started a one-year program to earn another credential, and I turned in a big paper today, with another big paper due on Friday. These are very rigorous courses and I love them yet find myself counting down each week; 46 more to go. All the writing for my credential can be blamed for the scarcity of my posts these days.

This past week, my husband took the kids to his parents' house for several days while I got some of my work done. It was an unusual week for me, for us, but a good one. My husband's parents are wonderful grandparents, and they all had a good time hanging out together, swimming and playing, and I cranked out some serious business. When I went to join them yesterday, Rooster had learned a bit more "swimming" (though he still wears his floaties) and I noticed some better impulse control, some leaps in language. All these firsts can be blamed for me feeling a little more emotional today, a little mushy and sentimental.

So I'm pointing my finger and placing blame every which way, but the real truth is: We're going back to school, and all the transitions freak me out. I feel like I'm falling down the rabbit hole.
Just saved myself $150 and an hour of therapy. Whew.

2 comments:

Niksmom said...

Well, I suppose the good news is that it's going to be very crowded down that rabbit hole. Maybe all of us who have fallen can either break another's fall gently or help each other climb out?

It's a hard time of year no matter how you slice it, I think. Sending you hugs and love.

kim mccafferty said...

So glad you could get blocks of time for your homework! Even though I'm not teaching anymore, this is always an emotional time of year for me. Glad you saved some money here!